Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Guest Post Budding Blogger

Back in August I was picked to be showcased as a budding blogger. Since many of you are new to my blog, I figured now would be a good time to post my feature on my own blog so you can get to know me a bit better!

*****************

Good morning everyone! I am SO excited to be this weeks featured Budding Blogger. Thanks for picking me, Amanda. I go by the online name of Mrs. D since my first initial is a D, but my students call me Mrs. Trott (or they will this year, I wasn't married yet last time I taught. I used to be called Ms. Smiley).

I named my blog the totally unoriginal but totally mine Reading with Mrs. D


Here's my blog button, click on it please!

Reading with Mrs. D
I started writing as a teacher blogger in March 2011, but I was only testing it out until the end of the school year. I was trying to figure out who I was as a blogger before I got too far into things, but when late August came and my principal called to say enrollment was down and that he wouldn't be needing me that year, I was devastated, so I mostly abandoned blogging until I was on Maternity leave in February when I started sharing ideas and resources again. 

Personal info (state/family/pets/interests):
I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. 
But I'm moving to Saskatchewan this summer to teach there this fall.
I am married to a wonderful man (Mr. C) and we have one beautiful little girl who's 16 months (Munchkin).
Our Wedding day 2011
Family photo fall 2012
Our Munchkin July 2013















I don't know where to start when it comes to describing my interests. Maybe I should say I love blog stalking? I definitely have a few must reads amongst the many I follow. I should mention I have a slight obsession with Superheroes. I've always believed that Superheroes and their stories can be compared to traditional fairy tales in the modern world, and so I'm designing my classroom environment this year around a Superhero theme.I LOVE to cook, most especially bake. My specialty is a chocolate chip dipped shortbread stick I make only at Christmas. My husband loves everything I make for him, but if it has bacon, then it's even better. Have you tried adding bacon to different foods? This year we've wrapped it around hot dogs and put it in grilled cheese. Both were hits with Mr. C.

Grade You Teach:

This year I'll be teaching grade one.

How long have you taught?

I graduated from UMPI (University of Maine at Presque Isle) in December 2004, and once my certification in Nova Scotia came through in May, I started substituting right away. 

Mom and me the day she left me at UMPI


After more than 3 years of working as a substitute teacher in the local board and a local private school, I was getting frustrated not getting anywhere and began applying across Canada to get a job elsewhere. After a few months of applying I got hired in Northern Manitoba at OK (Otetiskiwin Kiskinwamahtowekamik) school where I taught for two years, the first year in grade 3, the second in grade 2.

OK school
Otetiskiwin Kiskinwamahtowekamik
After coming home, I tried again really hard to find a teaching job, and found a maternity leave at a private school (Maritime Muslim Academy) where I taught grade one. 
Maritime Muslim Academy
Maritime Muslim Academy
I haven't actually taught in the two years since my term there ended since I found out I was pregnant and needed to have guaranteed work, so except for my one year maternity leave (yeah, Canada!), I've been working in retail.

What is your favorite subject to teach?
I love teaching reading, but I'm also a huge fan of social studies, and anyway I can combine the two subjects is fine by me. I love putting all the new words from spelling and that weeks mini reader in my chart and allow students to rearrange the words to make new original sentences.

Sentence formation

What would we likely see if we popped into your classroom unannounced?
You'd more than probably see a mess, but that's how I work! You'd see happy busy students working at their own pace, and when they're finished either reading or doing another choice activity.

What gets you through one of “those” days?
Right now knowing I'll get a kiss and a hug from my daughter at the end of the day helps, but so does the promise of caffeine in the form of chocolate and Coca Cola.

What is one “can’t live without” teaching resource?

Pinterest! I have found and shared so many freaking awesome ideas since I gave in and joined the site, that my teaching experience is going to be seriously transformed this year. There are some seriously talented teachers I've discovered in the blogosphere, just because I followed a link back to their blog.

Give us a glimpse of your teaching style by sharing a brief summary of a favorite classroom activity/project.
When I taught grade 3 we did a unit all about the Vikings for Social Studies, and as a culminative activity, each student created a viking log house out of a shoe box. It was easily the most popular activity that year. They loved gluing the popsicle sticks to the boxes and cutting out furniture to glue inside.

What is one of your blogging goals for this year?
Is it okay if I have 3?


I love pictures, and I can't wait to show pictures of the resources I've created actually in use. 
I also hope to gain some more followers. 
Remember to comment more often. I've been a bad blogger this year. I was getting better, but since my mat leave ended I've allowed that to lapse.

I hope I've entertained you a bit, and didn't bore anyone, and if I did, I'm terribly sorry.








***********************************************************
If you would like me to review other books for kids please leave a comment. It must be useful to either teachers or parents of children age 4 to grade 2.

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Visit Reading With Mrs. D on Teachers Pay Teachers
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Reading with Mrs D


Today's featured resource: 
Letter Reversal Bundle



Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!











No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...