Sunday, December 14, 2014

Christmas Around the World 2014

This is my second Year of Doing Christmas around the World with my class. I've changed up some of the activities we did, ok, a LOT of the activities and countries. 

I've been downloading My First Passions daily freebies to show my class real pictures of Christmas in other countries, although I haven't used her worksheets as I've found them too difficult for my kids.

Day One: We talked about How WE celebrate Christmas In Canada. We read A visit from St. Nicholas (although it's Not Canadian, the traditions in it depict our Christmas' really well).


Then we read the Brand New Canadian Jingles Bells Which I had picked up for my daughter for Christmas, and was considering using as our Christmas song for the concert.


Next step was to prepare our suitcases and our passports. I forgot to take a picture of the passport, oops! 
Our suitcases are really simple, they are just file folders with a Christmas around the world ticket glued on the front.


The First Page to go into our suitcases is this one I made for Christmas in Canada. I give the students a page with several sentences to choose from to cut out and copy the one that matches Their Christmas and then they illustrate to match. This student goes to church on Christmas.

Day 2: We celebrated Christmas in Germany. We read Gingerbread baby before making these advent wreaths. Next year I will cut the green  paper longer so the candles are easier to glue on.



Day 3: We learned about Christmas in Italy. We actually read TWO stories and compared them. We read Strega Nona and the Legend of La Befana. and then completed this Venn Diagram I made for them. We of course filled it out as a class, because it was our first Venn in a while.
You can get both these stories from Tomie dePaola. I found this version of LaBefana becasue my school didn't have the version I prefer, but you can order it here for next year!





Day 4: We celebrated Christmas in England. We kiddos had a blast making these Christmas crackers to give to their parents for a Christmas gift. For our story I showed them an online kids version of the Christmas Carol, but next year I hope to have a hard copy to read to them, like this one:



Day 5: We celebrated Christmas in France, and I showed them Madeline's Christmas. Before we made Our manger scenes (la Creche) to put in front of our fire places like in France.



Day 6: We learned about Christmas in Sweden. I couldn't find in our Library any books specifically about the Tomten, but I did find the Christmas Troll's so for this year that was close enough. As a craft we made these simple (but still time consuming) woven hearts with a Tomten gnome glued to the front for decoration. These are for our trees at home.



Day 7: We celebrated Christmas in The Netherlands (Holland). I found instructions online to make these simple wooden shoes our of paper, and made a pattern for my kids to be able to follow with dotted and straight lines for cutting. We Read the Baker's Dozen even though it's an American story, not actually from Holland. But it fit the theme.




Day 8: We celebrated Christmas in Australia. For this day we made these adorable Kangaroo and Koala puppets complete with Santa hats. We read Wombat Divine.



I forgot to take pictures of Thursday and Friday of this week, So I"ll post them when I post the pictures of this coming weeks activities.

If you like any of these crafts, stay tuned, as I plan to post on tpt well in advance of next christmas, plans and patterns for all these crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...