Friday, June 17, 2016

Summer Reading Series: Glimmercat

Happy Friday everyone, and welcome to my new Summer Feature!

Every Friday I will be republishing a post by a fellow teacher-blogger featuring a book or books. I will also be sharing the bloggers answers to some questions for an interview section. If you would be interested in being a featured blogger this summer, please click THIS LINK and follow the directions on that page. I hope to hear from you soon!

Previously:
Two Teacher Friends

Now onto the second feature.
*********************************************************************************

Today's Post comes from Christina Morrison from Glimmercat Education.

What was your favourite teaching moment and why?
Why does this make me think of the time that I was deeply involved teaching a lesson in my 4th grade class and caught my heel on a student's chair as I was moving backwards, and did a fall worthy of the Great Chaplin himself?  I think I am proud of this moment, because I got up and told my shocked (and bless their hearts, respectful) class, "It's okay:  you can laugh.  I know it was funny."

Who was your favourite teacher and why?
My English teacher in High School.  There were certain kids that he seemed to really pour himself into.  Usually they were the ones who needed a healthy adult to be supportive, straight-forward and believe in them.  I was one of those lucky kids and will never be the same because of that. 

What would your Superhero name be and why?
Something from Star Wars, because I'm a sci-fi nerd.

What animal would make a great teacher and why?
Why, this is like the perfect lead-in!  Obviously, I chose a Glimmercat.  My friendly cat helps children learn by sharing her adventures with them.  She isn't afraid to fall in front of them, either.  That makes her relatable AND fun. 

If you could have any other job, what would you choose and why?
 I would homeschool my own children.  Wait!  I'm already doing that!  I have had the incredible joy of teaching many other people's kids before I had my own.  And now, I spend time with my children at home and Glimmercat and I teach them together.

Why did you choose to teach this book?
This wonderful story is such a delightful way to share about the passing of seasons with young children.  They learn along with the puppies, about the changing of the world, which is 'like a great wheel turning round and round' and empathize with the friendly red squirrel.

*********************************************************************************

The "Four Puppies" Read Aloud
Originally Published Monday, September 28, 2015


When I was a little girl, my Grandma had this little book by Anne Heathers.  Originally published in 1960, this precious story tells the tale of four little puppies over the course of a year, as they explore their world during the changing seasons.  It is a delightful story, and I was thrilled when I found a copy of it in my thrift store.  I bought it and brought it home to read aloud to my own children, wondering if it was still as delightful as I remembered.

It was!  And for the next week, it was a favorite in our house and my son poured over the illustrations of the happy little dogs and the "friendly red squirrel in the hickory tree" who calls them "Silly billies" when they worry about the changing world.   Need a refresher?  Here it is on Youtube:




And when I got to the Letter P Reading Literacy Activity, this was the book I chose.  We created a Wheel (the story references the changing seasons as being like a wheel that turns round and round).

 I usually try to choose books that are readily available for these activities.  But this book is so priceless for the little people, and it's copyright has expired.  So, with a burst of inspiration, I decided to offer a read aloud for free so others can enjoy it.  And so before, I release our Letter of the Week for P,  I have uploaded the story read aloud HERE.

My children had a lot of fun creating their Season's Wheel from our Reading Literacy activity:


After they decorated their four seasons with paint and Q-tips, they glued their little dog in the season that they chose as their favorite.



This activity is available in our Letter of the Week packet for P, HERE

And again,  here's the link for the free Read Aloud download from my Teachers store


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...