Thursday, April 6, 2017

Earth Day Cardboard Challenge

Big Project
Every year I like to try and do a big project with my kids at the end of the year.
Some years, this is writing a class book, and this is always a favourite!
But a few years I did a recycling project instead.
It's particularly awesome if you like doing STEM activities.

Recycling Challenge
This could be just as easily an Earth Day Challenge, so since it's in just over two weeks, I thought now would be a good time to share it to help with your planning!

I challenge each student to create something new from something old, and present it to the class.

As you can see, I was presented with a Sponge-bob Toy, a desk Organizer, an Airplane, a bank, two robots, three cars, a bus, and more! (a train! Which was a bunch of empty tissue boxes tied together with yarn)


Caine's Arcade
The reason I'm showing you this now is because of  "Caine's Arcade". Did you watch the original video?

The Original:

Then five months later there was a challenge being made that I would love to do in my imaginary classroom. Since I can't actually do it :(, I want to pass the knowledge onto you in hopes that you will do it with yours!

Now:


If I were doing this challenge:
I'd maybe as a class or grade level design and create a maze for the fall/harvest festival
Or
Have groups design flea circuses
Or
Have them make a village
Or
Do my original project, but start with showing them parts of the original video as inspiration
Or
Have each student make an arcade game
Or 
?

To be honest, when my husband and I moved a few years ago to make room for baby, I really REALLY wanted to keep about 8 of the big moving boxes to bring to his sister's house when we went visiting so I could make a castle/fort for her two kids. I could see it perfectly in my head. But we had nowhere to store it, and with a newborn there is no way I would have had time to construct it.

What would you make? 
What would you hope they'd make?
Would you guide them towards projects?
Would you brainstorm as a class first and assign each idea to a student or group of students?
Or Would you have parents sign up for group leaders due to the potential size of these projects?
Would you leave it ALL to their imagination?
What books could we tie into this for Language Arts?

There is so much to consider!!


See more information and join the challenge here.






***********************************************************
Do you have an idea for a future post, or are interested in guest blogging or having me write a guest post? Please comment or email me!

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Visit Reading With Mrs. D on Teachers Pay Teachers
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Reading with Mrs D


Today's featured resource: 

Earth Day Scrambled Sentences




Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...